Friday 10 May 2013

Novgorodians 3


These bow armed skirmishers is the first infantry unit for my Novgorod force for the Baltic Crusades project. I imagine they are wood cutters or farmers, at home in the rough terrain, who have been drafted in service for the mighty Republic of Novgorod. As such they were painted in muted tones to contrast them against the very colourful druzhina.

Some more pictures:




The miniatures are all from Gripping Beast's Medieval Russians range and slightly stocky. Despite, or perhaps because of, this they're very easy to paint up. Of course, it helps that you only need 6 of them for a full unit ...

Finally, a warm welcome to the new followers ghalgor and Millsy. I hope you'll enjoy the blog and find something interesting here.

Have a great weekend everyone!

19 comments:

  1. Great job on these. I love the muted (but not dull) palette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good! I hope you'll be submitting a few photos for the rulebook?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dan! Yeah, I'm planning to ... Just need to paint up the rest and then take some photos with nice terrain etc.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic, I can feel the cold wind looking these beautiful figures, great work!!
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice the colors look very good, muted but intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great painting, Jonas, and an excellent idea to keep a tight palette. Can these fellows sneak into Saga?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monty! I haven't read the new Saga supplement, but I think they should work for the Era of the Princes' warband. Of course, I'd need another 6 of them ... :)

      Delete
  6. Wonderful work Jonas. Really like the looks of these guys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice work and a great shade of green!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher! The green is various shades/mixes of Foundry's Forest Green.

      Delete
    2. Ah yes, the C pot is very strong in contrast to A,B and so offers a lot of possibilities in tone. I use it quite often myself and is probably why I liked yours so much!:-) Foundry is my personal favourite line of paints followed by Vallejo.

      Christopher

      Delete